Julia Roberts hates all things social media — from Twitter to Tumblr and even Facebook, the August: Osage Country actress refuses to talk to fans through any outlets other than the big screen. And during the Golden Globe–nominated star’s press interview, she made it perfectly clear why she’d rather be out of the loop than tweeting at followers in 140 characters or less.
"Well, I haven't chosen to not be a part of it. I kind of just don't get it," she said when asked why she doesn’t have a Twitter handle. She added, "See, that's the thing I don't get. It's like screaming into the wind. I guess I just don't get it. If somebody has a grievance with me, or if it's a friend or somebody has been misinformed or misunderstood, I would go to them directly."
And the A-lister wasn't done. "There's a directness that I miss, and the idea of Internet or Twitter … I picture Twitter on a pager which I know is also antiquated. I don't know where you Twitter!"
A pager? Really, Julia?
"There's just a lack of human connection to all of it and that doesn't appeal to me," she said during the interview. But even Roberts isn’t afraid to admit that there are some up-sides when it comes to social media.
"It makes people feel connected and it brings people together and does all these awesome things, but for me, I like to look at somebody and have more tangible connections. That's what I as a person am invested in."
And Roberts isn’t the only celebrity who feels this way about the bird. Check out these 10 celebs whom you’ll never see sending out tweets to the world — at least, for now:
1. Blake Lively – “People ask me why I don’t tweet. Honestly, I’m so sick of myself," the Gossip Girl actress confessed.
2. Dakota Fanning – “I don’t have a Facebook or Twitter and I won’t ever," Fanning confirmed.
3. Mila Kunis – “It frightens me. I just don’t think people need to know when I’m going to the rest room," the actress quipped. "What am I gonna tweet? Like, ‘Hey, now I’m moving from room to room.’ I don’t really know what I would tweet people.”
4. Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen – “No Facebook. No Twitter. That gives me so much anxiety,” Ashley said, before her sister chimed in. “We’ve spent our whole lives trying to not let people have that accessibility, so it would go against everything we’ve done in our lives to not be in the public.”
5. Jennifer Lawrence – “Do you ever feel like the world is progressing way too fast for you?" the Oscar-winning actress asked The Daily Beast. Everybody was talking yesterday about Twitter and Instagram and Tumblr. It was really confusing me and overwhelming me. I don’t have it. I know by the time I get it, it’ll be something else. I bought a CD case less than a year ago.”
6. Kristen Stewart – “Twitter f---- me over every day of my life," she continued. "Because people go, ‘I’m sitting next to Kristen Stewart right now and then [the paparazzi] show up. And it’s rampant. Everyone can do it now. Buy a camera and you’re paparazzi; get a Twitter account and you’re an informant. It’s so annoying.”
7. Tina Fey – “I think you should have to get a license to use Twitter because most people are so f------ boring, that they should shut up," the funny girl said.
8. Rachel McAdams – “I listen to the news on the radio. I don’t have a television and I am really bad at e-mail," the old-fashioned gal told People. [It was] only [recently] that I heard about Twitter for the first time, and it’s all I’ve heard about since. I’m really ignorant.”
9. Jennifer Anniston – “If I took to Twitter or anything, I would really send people over the edge," she told Yahoo News. [I would spend all my time] just correcting every false rumor.”
10. Kate Hudson – “I’m scared!" she told Harper's Bazaar.